You have done your research and booked your flights. You’ve been told that travelling by RV is the easiest way to explore Canada, but where do you start? How do you decide which RV rental company is right for you?
Before you begin researching RV rentals, ask yourself …
- Where do I want to start and end my vacation?
- How do pick-ups and drop-offs work?
- What size of RV am I comfortable driving and staying in?
- What amenities do I need?
- What amenities do I want?
- Am I packing the necessary supplies, or do I need to rent them?
- What level of service and convenience do I want and expect?
Once you know the answers to these questions, you will have a better idea of what you are looking for.
Not all RV Rentals are Created Equal
There are many options these days for RV rentals, including peer-to-peer RV rentals from companies like RvEzy and Outdoorsy. These companies allow private owners to list their RVs for others to use. This means that RVs and trailers are available from multiple locations across Canada. Think about peer-to-peer rentals as drivable Air B&Bs.
A more traditional option is to book with a recreational vehicle dealership. Dealerships usually have a smaller but newer selection of RVs and often don’t rent towable units like trailers. Your needs and wants will guide you to the option that’s right for you.
View thru CanaDream RV window onto a Canadian lake in spring.
Where do I Begin my Search for the Perfect RV Rental
Service, expertise, and price are going to be the biggest difference between renting with a peer-to-peer or going through a dealer. What are some of the Important Things to Know when renting an RV? When you make your decision you shouldn't have any doubts. We have compiled a list of some pros and cons to help your selection process.
Peer-to-Peer RV Rentals
- Rentals are available across most of Canada making it very convenient for pick-up.
- A large variety of RVs with multiple models and styles available to choose from.
- Delivery and set-up options may be available to you.
- Personal advice direct from the owner - many will share all the tips and tricks about their RV with you.
- Supplies and equipment are often included in the rental.
- Pricing varies from owner to owner. This is great for the budget-minded traveller looking for an option within a fixed price range.
- As pick-ups are from private individuals, pick-up and drop-off times may be flexible.
- Kilometres may or may not be included with the rental.
- The minimum age for renting RVs from most private renters is 25 years old.
- There is no uniform cleanliness standard. Each owner is responsible for the upkeep and cleaning of their RV.
- Private rentals can be up to 20 years old.
- The units are being rented through a private site, and managed by private owners. On-road assistance may be inconsistent and an additional cost.
- Each owner decides where the RV can and cannot be taken. If your sights are set on a music festival, review all the policies before you book!
Dealership RV Rentals
- Locations in many major cities, all close to international airports.
- Dealerships offer new and near-new units for rental and update their fleets every year.
- One way rentals are available between dealership locations. Pick-up in Whitehorse and maybe drop-off in Vancouver?
- RVs receive regular maintenance, usually by on-site RV technicians.
- Dealerships offer a range of additional products and services to allow you to enjoy your RV vacation to the fullest.
- Consistency in product and service. Staff are familiar with all products and can answer all your questions.
- RVs are cleaned onsite by professionals.
- Most dealers offer included 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Many dealerships include kilometres or a certain number of kilometres per night. Prepaid kilometre packages may also be available.
- Online training videos may be available to familiarize yourself with your RV before you arrive. Personal demonstrations are also offered.
- RV rentals from Dealerships often sell out quickly. Booking well in advance of travel is recommended.
- RV pick-up and drop-off times are set by individual dealerships and are usually within business hours. Out-of-hours pick up and drop off may not be possible.
Lakeside bike ride with the family at sunset.
Which RV Rental Company should you choose?
If you are new to RVing and it’s your first time in Canada, there’s no doubt that using an established RV rental company can alleviate a lot of stress. CanaDream has been providing Guests with high-quality motorhomes for Canadian RV vacations for more than 25 years. Our knowledgeable Guest Service agents know our products inside and out and can help you decide which RV is right for you. Simply put – we are the experts when it comes to Canadian RV vacations. Years of market research and Guest feedback have resulted in our RVs featuring custom upgrades, unique to CanaDream.
What sets CanaDream apart from other RV Rental Company options?
- Hotel quality linens
- Upgraded memory foam mattresses
- Twin overcab beds (great for keeping the whole family happy and giving the kids their own sleeping spaces – no more “ooh, they’re touching me!)
- Included 24/7 on-road assistance
- Deals on excursions and campgrounds with the CanaDream Club
- Fuel savings through Journie Rewards
- Automatic membership of CanaDream Club, giving Guests access to discounts on campgrounds, attractions and more on an easy to use App.
- New and near-new RVs, manufactured to withstand the rigours of RV rentals
- RVs are serviced on average every 17 days
- Free 24/7 on-road assistance
- Online trip planning tools – providing a wealth of information for suggested itineraries and destination information.
- Special savings on relocation trips between Canadian cities.
Get Booked, Get Packed, and Get Excited!
There are so many beautiful destinations and CanaDream RVs to choose from. We know it's going to be tough to narrow things down. But planning and dreaming are all part of the fun. Online booking is easy on our website or, if you’d prefer the assistance of our Guest Service team, they’re available via online chat or email from 7.00am to 6.00pm Calgary time and are happy to answer any queries you may have. You can also phone them toll free within North America at 1-800-347-7126 or 1-403-259-5447 outside of North America. We look forward to welcoming you as our Guests!